SPFL Ladbrokes Premiership Matchday 14 Review – Hibernian 2-2 Dundee


Two sides desperate for a win went head to head in the capital, Hibs hosting basement boys Dundee. The Hibees with three defeats in their last four, Dundee having won just once in 15 games.

Neil Lennon made two changes following Hibs’ narrow loss to Aberdeen at Pittodrie. In came Daryl Horgan and club captain Paul Hanlon, replacing Vykintas Slivka and Darren McGregor.

Jim McIntyre made one change from the Dundee side that claimed their first point under him at home to St Mirren. Paul McGowan slotted into an attacking midfield role to replace Benjamin Kallman.


Super start

First chance came to the hosts when Martin Boyle and Daryl Horgan exchanged passes. The Irishman would cross and as Genseric Kusunga met the ball, in order to head clear of any potential danger, he nodded past Jack Hamilton after just 38 seconds.

Hibs would’ve made it two early on as Florian Kamberi reluctantly freed Daryl Horgan down the right. The Irishman squared for Jamie Maclaren to slot home. But, after receiving late from Kamberi, the goal was ruled out for offside. Good call from the assistant on this occasion.

They should’ve made it two as the one way traffic continued. Hanlon again found Horgan. He spread out wide to Martin Boyle. It appeared the Australian international, who scored twice on his debut, wasn’t sure whether he was squaring or shooting and his effort dragged wide.

Up the other end, Adam Bogdan made a decent stop to keep Kenny Miller at bay. The veteran nodded a Glen Kamara cross goalwards but the keeper dived to his left and Hibs scrambled clear.


Persisting pressure

Daryl Horgan found Lewis Stevenson, forward from left back, who passed back to Paul Hanlon to centre. The defender’s cross was fumbled by Hamilton and Martin Boyle crossed for Maclaren to tap home, great block by Kusunga to deny him and Cammy Kerr on the Aussie’s follow up.

Good became better for the Cabbage. Stevie Mallan, so often a set piece specialist, was fouled in a wide position and turned provider, crossing superbly for Ryan Porteous to nod home with a bullet header, as Hibs were cruising at 2-0 up after half an hour. The teen’s first goal since February.


Home and hosed to all square in a flash

Dundee would find themselves a route back into the match before the interval when Nathan Ralph crossed for Kenny Miller, who had peeled off his man, to slot past Bogdan. The 38 year old’s second goal in as many games giving the Dee a glimmer of hope before half time.

Two minutes into the second half and Dundee would come from behind to level proceedings with Paul McGowan’s first league goal since December 2017. Great play by Jesse Curran before he found McGowan out wide on the right, who cut in and finished with his left foot past Bogdan to make it 2-2.

Dundee have never been ahead in McIntyre’s reign so far. They could’ve been from two down as Curran would have a chance of his own, cutting in but smashing straight at Bogdan. Hibs had gone from cruising to being all over the place.


Potential redemption?

Martin Boyle had a few shots at goal as Hibs looked to retake the lead. A deflected effort proving routine for Hamilton before a dragged effort wide nearly came off as a cross. Chances were coming the way of the hosts once more.

Ryan Porteous had the final chance for Hibs but sent an acrobatic effort wide but they’ll be thoroughly disappointed having dropped two points to a side bottom of the league. Dundee, on the other hand, can hopefully get a bit of belief together. Maybe not down and out just yet.

Hibs, seemingly bereft of confidence at the minute, next travel to Ayrshire to take on Kilmarnock at Rugby Park on Saturday. Dundee have the weekend off but host Hamilton in a big game at the foot of the table in a midweek fixture on Wednesday 5th December.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.